Saturday, July 06, 2024

The Kit

I’ve always loved the idea of cataloging what is in a person’s purse. The necessities, the surprises… I love that there are people who bring those “just in case” things. It makes our civilization better.

Who doesn’t love a kit with “everything you need to…”?

I no longer carry a purse, just my phone with my drivers license and a couple of credit cards in the case. On my person, I need one pocket for my phone one pocket for my glasses… But if I have a computer bag or a back pack, I carry this mini purse with my current go-to kit. It contains everything I need to happily survive for 24 to 48 hours. I’m documenting it so that if I lose it, I can recreate it more easily. It might also serve as inspiration for others. 🤓

One rule of the kit is that everything has to be able to pass through a TSA screening, so no liquids, gels, or sharp items. As much as I would love to include moisturizer or a pocket knife in “the kit,” it is against this rule.

Picture of the pouch used for "the kit"















The pouch itself was a handmade gift from my mom, is about the size of a paperback novel, and has three zipper compartments of graduated sizes. For me, the purpose of each pocket, from largest to smallest, has evolved to be:

  • Eating
  • Hygiene
  • Technology


Eating

The largest, top pocket contains

  • Salt in a tiny soy sauce bottle
  • Miniature Tajín salt-lime-chili mix
  • Tiny four-sided spice dispenser with curry, paprika, salt, and ground pepper. Boiled eggs will never be dull!
  • Knife, fork, and spoon. I originally had a really sweet, matching, set of metal utensils, but one by one they got taken away by various airline security checks. The knife was the smallest, roundest knife you can imagine, with tiny little teeth. It was the metal teeth, I was told, that were the no no. The fork survived the TSA, but not the local small aircraft in Costa Rica. Some plastic utensils have broken over the years. What has survived is the current mishmash of items: a bamboo serrated knife and a plastic fork and spoon saved from some take-out items.
  • Foldable cup
  • Reusable, washable coffee filter because you never know when you are going to need one and it is such a simple thing, and yet frustrating when you have to do without.

Hygiene

This middle pocket contains

  • Tweezers
  • Folding nail clippers, so far TSA approved
  • Ear plugs
  • Q-tips
  • Dental floss—can also be used as string or thread for repairs. Floss cutter on the top can be useful for cutting threads without scissors. Oh how much I would love to be able to add a pocket knife!
  • Rubber flossers—can double as cleaners for charging ports, etc.
  • Dry toothpaste tablets to comply with no liquids and gels rule.
  • Foldable toothbrush where the handle serves as its own cover/case.
  • A small credit-card sized comb—this one has proven to be very durable!
  • Hair ties

Technology

The smallest, bottom pocket contains

  • 5v USB plug adapter
  • Lightning USB cable, 6ft
  • Headphones with mini audio jack and audio jack to lightning adaptor
  • Cleaning cloth
  • USB pen drive
  • Stylus

It is amazing how much will usefully fit in this small pouch.

What items would you add or leave off?





No comments: