Friday, June 10, 2005

Transitions

This is not going to be easy. It’s the first day of summer break. It has been raining all day. It is 6pm and I am fed up to here with the constant interruptions. The kids finally went outside a few minutes ago and I sat down to read a bit. Found a nice poem by Lucille Clifton. I remember reading her explanation for why she writes short poems: “I have six children and I can only hold about twenty lines in my head until the end of the day.” A good thought for me to ponder at this difficult time. Hmmm. Just noticed that the thumping I hear outside is Kadin working the lawn with a huge pickaxe. Here is Clifton’s poem while I go stop him from chopping his foot off:

blessing the boats
by Lucille Clifton

may the tide
that is entering even now
the lip of our understanding
carry you out
beyond the face of fear
may you kiss
the wind then turn from it
certain that it will
love your back | may you
open your eyes to the water
water waving forever
and may you in your innocence
sail through this to that

Okay, I'm back. Happy summer! (Dinner’s burning, Rees is snacking.) Might not be able to write much more any time soon.

No comments: